[extropy-chat] space: a novel approach to the NEO problem

Jeff Davis jrd1415 at yahoo.com
Fri May 21 21:01:58 UTC 2004

--- Samantha Atkins <samantha at objectent.com> wrote:
> Sigh.  it is a start but it would be much more
> intelligent to actually
> mine the asteroids for volatiles, metals, precious
> metals and so on
> while we are there.
>
> -s

It all reminds me of the approach nuclear waste
'disposal'.  What is waste?  Yesterday's high energy
garbage is tomorrows valuable raw material.  A few
years down the line we will likely find some
constructive use for it.  (Of course using Plutonium
extraction and breeder reactors we could use up
substantially more of the Uranium fuel, and thus have
more energy and less 'waste'.  However, I digress.)

So, as the 'problem' is defined, we have this asteroid
headed for earth.  So stop already with the "We're ALL
gonna die!" Glass-half-empty negativity, and
reappraise the situation sans the Chicken Little
chicken brain.

Seek out said asteroid, modify its course so that it
is gradually redirected into an orbit conveniently in
the neighborhood of the earth (Or perhaps a less
gradual and strikingly more dramatic grazing
deceleration across the surface of the moon. Or
perhaps not.  Whatever.), and then make constructive
use of the raw material.  Say, turn part of the
asteroid into a launch system, then make the rest into
O'Neill Habitat Kits, and launch them to various
locations so that, in the end all the bits are
Matrioshkally distributed and we all live happily and
transhumanistically ever after.

Or if the satanic asteroid shows itself too speedy and
too late to be diverted, then by all mean, bend over
and kiss your ass goodbye.  But lovingly.

Best, Jeff Davis

    I believe -- no pun intended:) -- the practical
    thing is usually to change those beliefs that
    cause the most immediate trouble...
                      Daniel Ust