[extropy-chat] monty hall paradox again

Spike spike66 at comcast.net
Sun May 23 06:55:44 UTC 2004

> Could it really be that you don't realise?  Could it be that you
> do realise and some others don't and that you enjoy that?

Oh I enjoy it, but no I do not realize.  Read on.

> > For that reason, there really is no reason  to bother opening
> > and looking in the envelope you chose first.
>
> Re-read what you wrote when you first outlined the hypothetical
> at the top.  It is only AFTER an envelope is chosen and opened
> revealing that it contains 10 dollars that the messenger offers a
> second trade. The messenger did not say from the outset that
> whatever the first envelope contained the contents could be
> exchanged after being determining for the contents of the other
> envelope prior to their being determined. If that whats you
> wanted the messenger to say thats a different hypothetical.
>
> How long has this list been discussing a twisted hypothetical? Brett
Paatsch

You may be onto something Brett.  What difference does it make
if the messenger tells you up front that after making a
choice, you will be given the option of trading?  The
paradox doesn't seem to disappear if it is carefully
explained up front, but do suggest a modification of
the scenario if you can fix it.