[[extropy-chat] diffraction limit

Dan Clemmensen dgc at cox.net
Sat May 29 17:29:23 UTC 2004

Robert J. Bradbury wrote:

>On Sat, 29 May 2004, Dan Clemmensen wrote:
>

>>I think the E-beam
>>diffraction limit is small enough for atomic precision?
>>

>I would suspect that to be the case but at the atomic level you
>have much greater problems such as the purity of the bulk materials
>involved.
>

>>The industry tried to go from
>>193nm to 153nm, but this required CaF lenses, and these lenses turned
>>out to be impossible to build in production quantities.
>>

>Dan, Eric D. points out in Table 6.2 in Nanosystems that UV-C is from 280
>to 200 nm.  193 and 153nm are below this scale.  The energy of even UV-C
>radiation exceeds the many common bond dissociation energies (Table 3.8).
>Has anything you have read commented on the lifetime of the lenses due
>to the high flux of bond-breaking photons?
>
>Also, there was a lot of talk 3-5 years ago about the efforts to produce
>even shorter wavelength beams (effectively X-rays) and there were several
>reports if I recall correctly of capabilities of producing feature sizes
>as small as 10nm.  But I haven't heard anything about these recently.
>Do you know if these methods are still being worked on?

193nm has been standard for some time now. This is about the shortest
feasible wavelength for quartz lenses IIRC. Up to and including the
193nm generation, Moore's law has been driven by finding a new
technology suite for each shorter wavelength, but the lens material
transparency was not the issue. Other lens parameters were important, as
were resists, deposition technologies, mask creation, silicon purity,
and many others. The hope was that 153nm (ArF lasers and CaF lenses,)
would push the refractive optics down one more time, but it didn't work,
so the industry is falling back on other tricks.

As far as I know, all lower-wavelength approaches will require
reflective optics. This will require a radical change in the optical
path in the machinery (called a "stepper"for unrelated reasons) that
exposes the silicon through the mask. With X-rays, even standard
reflective optics fail, and you must move to grazing-incidence lenses.
This is even more difficult than standard reflective optics.

All of this means that the next two generations of "Moore's Law" will
probably be achieved by using tricks that were investigated earlier but
which were costlier than the  direct approach of using a new generation
of reflective optics. Either the industry will use the time gained to
implement reflective optics, or Moore's law (applied narrowly to silicon
lithography) will come to an end. I personally feel that silicon
lithography will be superceeded. I certainly hope so, because is it now
very difficult to innovate at the device level, as the capital costs are
too high. We are now innovating primarily at the system level, as a very
small number of device-level innovations (i.e., cheaper processors and
memory) enable a progressively wider range of cost-effective systems
(e.g., cell phones.) I feel that global innovation will continue for
several years at the Moore's Law rate even if there were no further
advances in device electronics, as we continue to explore the space of
new systems.

Ideally, we will develop a new technology that permits an engineering
team to develop and manufacture a new device without huge capital
investment.

Of course, I think that the existing hardware is more than capable of
bootstrapping the singularity, given the right software,