[extropy-chat] diffraction limit

Dan Clemmensen dgc at cox.net
Sun May 30 18:39:07 UTC 2004

scerir wrote:

>Anyway, let me point out this paper (it seems a very good one)
>http://www.intel.com/research/documents/Bourianoff-Proc-IEEE-Limits.pdf

Thanks! Very interesting paper. Assuming I understand it correctly, it
says that no matter how you build it or what you build it out  of,
digital electronics cannot be packed more closely that about 20 nm
cubed. Each such cube can contain a piece of interconnect, a gate, or a
flip-flop. And yes, I'm making a very free interpretation of the paper.

The paper is almost entirely about 2D systems. For a 2D system, with
flip-flops of 20nm squared, the heat dissipation will be about 60W/cm
squared.

To a first approximation, this paper concludes that the practical limits
of electronic computation coincide with the practical limits of CMOS,
and are consistent with the Moore's-law industry roadmap's goal for the
year 2017.

Note that these limits will are for CPUs (i.e, each cell changes state
frequently) as opposed to memory. A nanomechanical memory can be as much
as 1000 times denser than a nano-electronic CPU.