[extropy-chat] optimism study

Hal Finney hal at finney.org
Tue Nov 2 17:08:42 UTC 2004

Al Brooks writes:
> A Dutch research involving 900 men & women aged 65-85
> has concluded there is a 55% reduction in death by all
> causes by the subject being optimistic; a 23%
> reduction in death related to cardio-vascular
> conditions by being optimistic.

You always have to worry about correlation vs causation in such studies.
I'm sure they controlled for health, but even so there could be problems.
Maybe the people who felt an intangible and unmeasurable sense of health
were inherently and justifiably more optimistic, while those who had a
sense of bodily weakness and vulnerability would be more pessimistic.
Then the study might be measuring how well people could sense their own
prospects for longevity.  If so, just forcing yourself to be optimistic
would not do anything to extend your life.

Hal