[extropy-chat] FWD (UFO UpDate) Re: Limboids

Terry W. Colvin fortean1 at mindspring.com
Tue Nov 2 21:15:38 UTC 2004

From: Kyle King <kyleking at sbcglobal.net>
To: <ufoupdates at virtuallystrange.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 10:32:12 -0600
Subject: Re: Limboids

>From: Terry W. Colvin <fortean1 at mindspring.com>
>To: UFO UpDates - Toronto <ufoupdates at virtuallystrange.net>
>Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 17:56:22 -0700
>Subject: Limboids

>Forwarding permission was given by William R. Corliss.

>Science Frontiers, No. 156, Nov-Dec, 2004, p. 2

>http://www.science-frontiers.com

>Biology

>Limboids

>What, if anything, separates life from non-life? To be alive, it
>is widely promulgated that such entities must metabolize,
>reproduce, and evolve in the Darwinian sense. It is also
>popularly believed that living matter is intrinsically different
>from nonliving matter, although one no longer speaks of "the
>breath of life" or of an "elan vital". Even so, knowing all we
>now know, there does still 'seem' to be a fundamental gap
>between life and non-life. Is this gap illusory or perhaps
>filled by entities of which we are not yet aware?

<snip>

>(3) The metabolisms of limboids are too slow and their lifetimes
>too long (millions of years) for us to discern them. In other
>words, they 'seem' inanimate. (This potential attribute was
>suggested by P. Gunkel.)

>(4) The lifetimes of limboids may be too short for us to
>register them.

>(5) The limboids live outside the ranges of our eyes and
>instruments.

>(6) The limboids may incorporate considerable dark matter and be
>hard to detect. Conceivably some manifestations of dark matter
>could exist in recognized visible organisms and perform
>organizing functions that "breathe life" into inanimate matter!

>Scientists have not seriously looked for limboids, but they may
>have caught fleeting glimpses of them, and "laid them back in
>the closet," as Omar mused poetically.

<snip>

Hi Terry,

Excellent post and kudos to Mr. Corliss for his generosity.

This idea of what constitutes life has intrigued me for some
time.

I remember in geometry class, dimensions were illustrated this
way...

A point or line is one-dimensional

A square or polygon is two-dimensional

A cube or polyhedron is 3-dimensional

What comes next cannot be drawn or modeled in 3 dimensions, so
we can only create crude approximations or envision them in our
minds. We know mathematically that the 4th-dimensional cube or
tesseract exists, yet we have no ready means by which to show
it. The usual description goes like, "a cube with a cube at each
of its faces". This sounds good, and a "shadow" of it can be
drawn or modeled with sticks and Styrofoam, but the implications
of how such an object would behave in our perceivable 3-
dimensional world are completely hidden, since that aspect
cannot be modeled in anything less than 4 dimensions.

In the context of this thread, it is interesting that as we say
that we are alive, we explain this by describing the
components... mostly water, some minerals, proteins, and some
barely understood electro-chemical processes which seem to
result in a persistent sense of "being". Also, an entire
ecosystem of bacteria, virii, etc that either depend on the
host, or on which the host depends, or both.

In this context, I find the earth itself aptly described as a
life -form. Mostly water, minerals, proteins, electro-chemical
processes, beneficial and non-beneficial parasitic ecosystems,
etc.

Likewise, I find the idea that life could be related to the dark
matter very compelling, and the strong sense that as we cannot
accurately model in 3 dimensions what exists in 4, we very
likely could have life all around us that we simply are not
equipped to see, or detect.

Is it possible that the dark matter is connective tissue for a
life-form which is as vast as the universe itself? I don't mean
to sound new-age, and I'm obviously not the first to propose the
living earth idea, but is it possible that the universe is
alive, and that multi-timelines are an evolved process of
survival, and that the planets are merely organelles or sensors,
populated by smaller and smaller ecosystems? Is it possible that
dimensions are not finite, but a product of natural selection on
a cosmic scale? Is it possible that this evolution includes the
rise and fall of life forms in all dimensions and on all
timelines?

If the dark matter is truly the connective tissue of the cosmic
"dude", is it possible that clairvoyance, UFOs, abductions, etc
could all have at their root the natural mutations of this
cosmic dude, or by the inadvertent overlapping of dimensions,
and the crossing of timelines either through design or
misadventure?

If we could find the means to communicate in a direct and
universally comprehendible way, we might tap into knowledge of
which we cannot even imagine. We might also find an answer to
Prophecy, ESP, UFOs, abduction, etc. We may evolve right along
with the cosmic dude. Could the "fleeting glimpses" of dark
matter mentioned in the article be analogous to the similar
fleeting glimpses of UFOs, aliens, and other anomalous things in
our collective experience?

Limboids could be the very fabric of reality. I guess we'd be
some form of mutation. The discomforting question is whether we
represent an evolutionarily beneficial mutation, or a cancer.

Great thought-provoking post. Thank you.

Kyle

--
"Only a zit on the wart on the heinie of progress." Copyright 1992, Frank Rice

Terry W. Colvin, Sierra Vista, Arizona (USA) < fortean1 at mindspring.com >
     Alternate: < fortean1 at msn.com >
Home Page: < http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/8958/index.html >
Sites: * Fortean Times * Mystic's Haven * TLCB *
      U.S. Message Text Formatting (USMTF) Program