[extropy-chat] Kerry to win, 2.5 to 1

Eliezer Yudkowsky sentience at pobox.com
Wed Nov 3 10:30:43 UTC 2004

Robin Hanson wrote:
> Tradesports, IEM, Betfair give Kerry a 71 to 74% chance to win.

Today's experiment... failed.

It disturbs me that with millions of dollars to spend and all the
sophisticated apparatus of statistics, we can't predict the outcome of an
election.  It makes one wonder about the latest study showing that broccoli
does (not) prevent cancer.  At least with elections, you find out when
you're wrong.  I wonder how much marginal science is similarly bogus.