[extropy-chat] Aw Nuts! Bush Wins...

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 4 14:45:59 UTC 2004

--- Spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:

> Im trying to get a feel for generation Y issues.  I would
> think that the draft would be one of them, but the two major
> parties both opposed a draft.  There is a great reason for
> this: we can't trust draftees in any conceivable future
> conflict.  I would think the right to abortion would be
> a generation Y issue, but birth control is getting better,
> more foolproof, so perhaps this isn't such a big deal.
>
> So what are the young voters thinking?

Actually, the kids are more conservative than their parents. The kids
voting now are kids who were born after the advent of AIDS as a deadly
epidemic, where they've learned teenage superstitions, without rational
thought, that risky (shall we say, left-wing) behaviors can kill you,
personally. Kids do see the consequences of drug abuse (while ignoring
or unaware of the impact of black markets on quality control) as well.

This is also the age of Austin Powers. Doctor Evil tried to claim that
the free love of Austin's 60's persona was now considered in the 90's
to be evil. Powers retorts that "if we'd known the consequences of our
actions, we would have done things differently, but the spirit would be
the same. Now we have freedom AND responsibility. It is a groovy time
to be alive, baby, yeah." This is the message kids today are seeing and
they are making a visceral connection to their political stances.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)