[extropy-chat] The next steps for individuals (was: Aw Nuts! Bush Wins...)

Patrick Wilken Patrick.Wilken at Nat.Uni-Magdeburg.DE
Thu Nov 4 16:40:37 UTC 2004

On 4 Nov 2004, at 11:38, Al Brooks wrote:

>  I can't think of anything do-able, except maybe
> finding someone interested in communicating with
> select persons in the 'Middle East' to attempt to
> interest them in transhumanism/extropianism.

What about the Midwest and the South? It would seem to me that the
problem is a lot closer to home. Its clear that the insane Christian
meme that we have been politely ignoring for years has come home to
roost. It was ignorable as long as it was not able to control the
strings of government too tightly, but there are now enough
fundamentalist christians to control the fate of the only remaining
superpower.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/08/15/nyt.kristof/

I live in a small East German town. Just down the street I have a bunch
of Texan Baptist missionaries who have opened up a cafe to lure and
convert secular communists. These guys are really well organized and
funded. Not only that I constantly bump into Mormons from Utah on the
tram. How many Extropians do you find in Texas trying to spread the
word? What hope do progressive forces have in a democracy when they are
not willing to actively engage those who disagree with them? Reading
(or writing) op-ed pieces in NYTimes is not going to change anyone's
views in small towns in South or Mid-West. We need to become much more
directly active if we want to change beliefs.

We need Extropian missionaries in the South and Midwest!

best, patrick