[extropy-chat] No Joy in Mudville

Bryan Moss bryan.moss at dsl.pipex.com
Thu Nov 4 23:06:43 UTC 2004

Brian Lee wrote:

> I favor someone else on this list who suggested that the gov't get out
> of the marriage business altogether and only allow civil unions. Then
> any marriage is purely non-legal and ceremonial.

I don't understand this position at all.  You'd be allowing gay
marriage, but not calling any marriage marriage, but any organisation
that wants to call a marriage marriage would be free to do so and would
also be free to discriminate against homosexuals?

Doesn't it just amount to a name change to appease bigots?

BM