[extropy-chat] Re:

Kevin Freels cmcmortgage at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 5 04:07:45 UTC 2004

Well as I said, I can;t speak for Mike. I have custody of two children from
a previous marriage and have a girlfriend that I have lived with for several
years. They are both girls and they are being brought up in the most
untraditional way. They are taught to respect everyone, but to question
everything. They are taught that the very worst thing a person could be is a
non-thinking hater and a hypocrite. I don't personally see how one's sexual
orientation has any bearing on family except for in a few cases. One such
case is mine. I have two girls and I have custody. I would have a very tough
time teaching them all that girl stuff myself. A male mate wouldn;t be much
of a help either. BUT, all that means is that I would have to find a way to
make sure a woman was in their lives. That woman could be my mother, sister,
a friend, or someone I hired to be their "woman tutor".

I will say that I think it is important that children be brought up to know
how to function  in a hetero society. Hetero must be the norm, or the
population would crash and our species would become extinct. Since the
majority then must be hetero, they need to learn to live in a hetero
society. They need to understand gender roles. They do not, however, need to
be brainwashed into those roles. In fact, I think their awareness of these
roles will make them always conscious of what they are doing rather than
reacting with the masses. They need to understand all of the options
available to them, then be treated with respect regardless of what they
choose....

So what of the traditional family? There is nothing wrong with it. It is a
good thing. It only becomes a problem when people become narrow minded and
think that their way is right. It becomes a problem when parents teach their
children to hate. It is not a bad thing and Mike is right to protect it. But
I don;t see how he could perceive gay marriage as a threat to that. It has
no bearing on his family.
People who are closed minded come from all different ways of life. There are
close minded gays who want to rub homosexuality in people's faces. There are
Christians who do the same with their religion. There are blacks who rub
their blackness in people's faces. I could go on and on. None of these
people are being productive.

I think Mike has a difefrent agenda. He wants to protect your rights..but
not at the expense of everyone elses. To him, and to me, an American isn;t a
Gay American, or African American, or Islamic American. Everyone is just a
plain old boring American...and if you are on the public dole, he is after
you.

In short, Mike is an equal-opportunity hater.

Gay families are not a threat to hetero families. It is either the excuse
that anti-gay people use to justify their behavior, or