[extropy-chat] Rephrase the "Marriage" question...

nsjacobus at yahoo.com nsjacobus at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 5 04:32:45 UTC 2004

What we've (speaking for myself) come to realize is that the old forms
of relationships simply don't work as well as was once thought.
Marriage never used to be about love...it was an economic idea. Purely
a tribal notion based on procreation, quelling inter-tribe violence,
etc. Now we expect marriage to be the vehicle for interpersonal and
individual happiness. But there's notion inherent to the notion of
marriage that says it will provide these things. It was never designed
to.

So, we're in a period of flux. How do we remake inter-personal
relationships so as to maximize our ability to lead a good life (by
whatever measure). The answer clearly seems to be that what works for
some people doesn't work for everyone. However, the prevalent social
mores in this country preclude us from experimenting in any meaningful
way in trying to create new kinds of interpersonal bonds. Given the
option and the will, there are a lot of possibilities that one could
try. Maybe some people would opt for chemical/hormonal de-sexing. Maybe
sex is too much of a hindrance in finding the kind of happiness I'm
talking about. I don't know. The point is, if we don't develop an
environment that encourages that kind of experimentation and
exploration then we will be selling ourselves short.

-NJ