[extropy-chat] No Joy in Mudville

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Fri Nov 5 09:08:01 UTC 2004

On Nov 5, 2004, at 12:06 AM, Olga Bourlin wrote:
> Let's just start with ... er, Republicans (all generally speaking here)
> support a woman's right to choose?

Yes.  It has been dropped as a real platform for a reason -- there was
no consensus within the party.  I do not personally know any
Republicans that are not pro-choice, and I know quite a few
Republicans.

> Republicans led the marches for civil
> rights, gay rights and women's rights?

You may want to read some history.  The Democrats were on the wrong
side of a great many civil rights issues.  They've only claimed many of
them after the fact.  The Deep South has been pretty much 100% Democrat
for more than a century up until the last few years and one of its core
constituencies.  Any faults regarding civil rights you see evident in
or would paint on the Southern culture throughout history you'll have
to paint on the Democratic party.  Which includes race, gender, and
sexual orientation discrimination.

> Republicans want to support stem
> cell research?   Republicans want the separation of church and state?

Yes, and yes.  Your analysis has been shallow.

The Republicans are a coalition of two major factions, a libertarian
faction and a religious conservative faction.  They have competing
motivations but they've learned to get along.  They originally formed a
coalition to deal with the Democratic party back when they were a
juggernaut for most of the 20th century.

The religious conservative faction objects to stem cell research on
moral grounds.  The libertarian faction likes the research but objects
to the Federal government funding it, particularly since there is no
real shortage of private funding for it.  The obvious policy compromise
is to reduce or eliminate Federal funding of the research.  The
libertarian faction has long kept the religious faction in check with
respect to the separation of church and state.  I am not a Republican
but I am an atheist, and I've never felt threatened by the bogeyman of
the "religious right" in a legal sense.  The Republican party has no
designs toward establishing a state religion nor would the libertarian
faction allow anything vaguely resembling that.  And if the militant
atheists in some Democrat factions would stop going out of their way to
antagonize the religious Republicans (and yes, this does happen), this
would largely dissipate as an issue.

You need to learn to look at Republican policy from this perspective.
Little gets done that does not pass the filter of both the libertarians
and religious conservatives.  This means that compromises usually only
include things that both factions can agree on from an ideological
standpoint.  A few bones get thrown and occasionally there are very
heated discussions within the party, but nothing really gets out of
control.

There are many, many pro-choice, atheist, gay-friendly Republicans,
primarily because the Republicans only rarely step on the toes of these
quasi-libertarian folks and vice-versa.  Why do you think it is that
drug legalization has occurred primarily in western Republican states
rather than Democrat ones?  The different factions have different
proportional strengths in different parts of the country.  Your view of
Republicans is a highly biased caricature.

> And - horror of horrors - do you *really* want to see what a
> conservative
> Supreme Court?

Right now, I would settle for a non-activist court.  The liberal courts
have an egregious record in this regard (in evidence in the circuit
courts and some State supreme courts), and to a greater extent than
conservative courts generally.  This is something I follow pretty
closely, and the track records are not even close to similar in this
respect.  Knowing nothing else, I would choose a conservative court
over a liberal court, only because conservative courts have a better
track record of interpreting various constitutions in a reasonable and
consistent fashion.  That would be playing the odds.

The push for more conservative courts and constitutional amendments
rather than legislation is a backlash against what is rightly perceived
as excessive and extra-constitutional legislation from liberal activist
courts.  I only hope that the conservative courts do not escalate the
situation by responding in kind.

cheers,

j. andrew rogers