[extropy-chat] Enlightenment and the election

Sean Diggins sean at valuationpartners.com.au
Sat Nov 6 02:30:28 UTC 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Emlyn
Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] Enlightenment and the election

Greg, I know it's rude to ask someone to explain their vote, so mea
culpa, and it's only a request, feel free to ignore it.

However, if you are ok with it, could you please explain why you would
vote for Bush in the circumstances you outlined below? Quite
seriously, I can't understand why an extropian would make that choice,
but also I am uninformed when it comes to US domestic politics, and
maybe there's something I can learn from your position.

----------------------------
Emlyn,

You havent grasped the peculiar brand of "fundamentalism" adopted by US
Libertarianism.
There is zero chance of Greg's vote (whether libertarian or Bush) making
sense to you....and there is less than zero chance of them seeing things
from a perspective of someone outside the US.
They live within the prism of The Death Star and have no empathy for anyone
who gets in the way of their beloved Mothership, as long as someone else is
doing the dirty work which runs against their US Libertarian values. They
really mean "Libertarians for America, f&^k everyone else".

It's quite amazing to see the private emails I get each time I post
something critical of the US Libertarians on this email list, from people
who have long ago despaired of having a useful discussion with them. They
still lurk, being extropian, but no longer participate. I have reached that
point also, in a very short space of time. After lurking here for a year, I
started posting, then realised I could not hope to discuss the issues I hope
bio and nano will address without being shot to pieces by the US
Libertarians. Trying to argue almost anything with a US Libertarian strikes
me as being similar to trying to argue about Israeli policy with the Bush
Administration ("you are anti-semetic") or the nature of God with a
fundamentalist religion devotee. The US Libertarians are only here because
they personally want to live forever...

And on that note, I'm outa here. I will no longer post. No doubt a few "good
riddances" will be in order...

But, a final parting shot across the bow: when I suggested on this list that
the Rapture Ready mob are a major component of Bush's constituency, I was
basically ridiculed. Yeah, right....spot on, folks. Don't see any of you
retracting your stubborn "blindsides" now....

Sean