[extropy-chat] Gay Marriage

Hal Finney hal at finney.org
Sat Nov 6 07:06:25 UTC 2004

Saw an interesting posting today on www.dailykos.com, a well known left
wing blog, endorsing the same idea that Mike Lorrey and Kevin Freels have
been discussing, of getting the government out of the marriage business
and letting it be a church matter.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2004/11/5/123023/403

Kos quotes, "Marriage should be a faith-based institution and we should
turn it over to the churches. If someone doesn't want to be married
in a church, then the Federal government can offer them a legal civil
contract (this is a better name for it than civil union)... The Federal
government could offer gays the same civil contract status as it offers
straight people who want to shack up legally but without the sanction
of a church," and adds, "Simple, and common sensical."

I doubt that Mike Lorrey and Kos agree on much, but it's interesting
that on at least this point they are on the same wavelength.

Hal