[extropy-chat] Extropian Scorecard

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 6 18:12:39 UTC 2004

--- "J. Andrew Rogers" <andrew at ceruleansystems.com> wrote:
> On Nov 5, 2004, at 8:00 PM, David wrote:
> > I understood that the social security system can be considered
> > a huge obligation on the part of the USA government towards those
> > citizens who have paid into it over the years.
>
> There are a couple problems:
>
> 1)  The government and politicians like to promise things they have
> no means of delivering.  And they are reticent to take something off
> the table once they've promised it.  It is an odd "obligation" when
> one promises something one cannot possibly deliver.

There is absolutely NO obligation involved. Supreme Court rulings have
shown that Social Security is specifically a legalized ponzi scheme,
run by the government, where your contributions are only considered
'gifts', which are distributed to the current recipients. The
government is under no obligation to give you any money back when you
retire. They could end it right now if they wanted to and not owe
anybody a cent.

The one thing I'm looking forward to about practical immortality is
that its primary impact will be to bankrupt the social security system
beyond the ability of any government to fix it in any semblance of its
current form.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)