[extropy-chat] USAF & PQT

scerir scerir at libero.it
Sun Nov 7 18:59:39 UTC 2004

PQT = Psychic Quantum Teleportation (of course)

AIR FORCE RESEARCH LABORATORY
AIR FORCE MATERIEL COMMAND
EDWARDS AIR FORCE BASE, CA
'Teleportation Physics Study'
http://www.fas.org/sgp/eprint/teleport.pdf
(long 'review' paper, about 88 pages)
by Eric W. Davis (Warp Drive Metrics, Las Vegas)

http://www.theolympian.com/home/news/20041106/living/28378.shtml
(popularization)

:s)

"According to David Hume causality is based on
nothing more than the observed constant conjunction
of two or more kinds of events, say A and B.
It is a mere habit we have to call the earlier
of the occurrences, say A, the cause, and the later, B,
the effect; no relation of necessity, nor even of likelihood,
of a B's succeeding an A in the future can be deduced.'
- D. Atkinson

'We would like to think of teleportation as the transmission
of quantum information from A to B. If we accept the intuitively
appealing tenet that a transfer of information from sender
to receiver must always be mediated by a channel connecting
the two participants, teleportation appears paradoxical:
If only two classical bits were sent, how did the full
quantum information pass from A to B? Looking at the standard
space-time diagram of the teleportation process, we see that
there is indeed a second (V-shaped) path connecting A to B,
which is defined by the two world lines of the distributed
EPR particle pair. This leads to an intriguing interpretation
(first proposed by Bennett soon after the discovery of teleportation):
In addition to the two bits, the remaining quantum information
must have been propagated backward in time from A to the EPR
source and thence forward in time to B. Indeed, if we insist
that information transmission requires a physical channel,
there appears to be no other possible interpretation of
the teleportation process! It is remarkable that this
interpretation is entirely consistent: The principles
of quantum measurement theory imply that the information
sent backward in time is random and independent of
the teleported state, so long as the two classical bits
remain unknown. Hence, the well-known classical causal paradoxes
of backward-in-time information propagation are neatly circumvented.
This analysis, inspired by our informational point of view,
also reveals a new significance for entanglement in quantum theory
(beyond the traditional issues of nonlocal correlations
of measurement outcomes): Entanglement can be viewed as providing
a channel for the transmission of quantum information.'
- R. Jozsa