[extropy-chat] Extropian Scorecard

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 8 17:20:30 UTC 2004

--- Brent Neal <brentn at freeshell.org> wrote:

>  (11/8/04 6:20) Mike Lorrey <mlorrey at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >ANWAR is the big problem. The Euro is rising in value because of
> >Russia's rise as an oil power as well as the shift by many states
> from
> >backing their own currencies with the dollar to the euro. This
> creates
> >a surplus of dollars and a dearth of euros as various Bumfukistan
> >Central Banks dump their dollar reserves and buy up euro reserves.
> >
> >The US could reverse the influence of Russias oil on the euro by
> >opening up ANWAR, which is why the european based tree-hugger groups
> >are all dead set against it.
>

> Hmm. Last I checked, Russia hadn't joined the EMU, and the Sierra
> Club and the Nature Conservancy were both based in the United States.

Cherry picking. World Wildlife Federation, Greenpeace, among others,
are european based. The Nature Conservancy is based on Palmyra Island
in the south pacific, which, while nominally US territory, the NC has
some sort of pseudo-autonomous agreement with the Dept of the Interior
which we have not be able to obtain any details about.

Oh, and the Sierra Club was founded by the Bohemian Club members....

And Russia does all its oil banking in europe.

> Let me propose an alternate theory: smaller governments are noticing
> that not only is our Federal deficit rising, but there seems to be no
> serious effort to restrain it. Further, our goverment's policies seem
> to be engineered to undermine our manufacturing sector.  Add that to
> the serious possibility of political instability as an extremely
> large portion of USians are concerned about the country's slide
> towards religious-based fascism, and suddenly Euroland, which also
> suffers large deficits but has made it clear that they are searching
> for a path to fiscal responsibility, seems like a better bet. Ah, how
> fickle the markets can be.  Of course, there are plenty of plausible
> things that could swing the tide back - the election of a communist
> government in France or a breakdown of Euroland's "harmonized" tax
> regime as individual member countries start rebelling against
> policies set by France and Germany.

Oh, definitely contributory factors.

=====
Mike Lorrey