[extropy-chat] Extropian Scorecard

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Tue Nov 9 18:53:06 UTC 2004

Mike Lorrey wrote:

>--- Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:
>

>>But I can't see why keeping everyone healthy and youthful would
>>`bankrupt the social security system'. On the
>>contrary, I think this is one of the great benefits of any negligible
>>senescence treatment, and a major motive for governments to invest
>>heavily in its development *before* the shit hits the fan.
>>

>You are extremely optimistic to think that a government is going to be
>that smart and will actually implement such an optimistic solution. No,
>they will find that people will be living to 120 with ease, you will
>have three retired people for every working person. The word 'taxpayer'
>will become synonymous with 'slave' in future society and will be
>looked down on ("I remember when I was a tax payer, worst 40 years of
>my life.")

Since I don't get the government paid off until mid-year and actually
not until the end of Fall if you count all taxes and fees imposed by
various governmental bodies, I hardly see that I am more of a slave with
more retired people supposedly drawing from social security.

But the solution to the SS mess is very clearly to dismantle it with as
much compassion and care for those who have been led to depend on it and
are already doing so or will be too soon to do something else as
possible.    The second part of the solution is to do something about
the rising median age of the population.  For that life extension,
anti-aging and continuously improved medicine AND healthier life habits
of the population are essential.   We must increase the healthy and
productive years if all we Boomers aren't going to be seen as a
parasitical burden.

- samantha