[extropy-chat] Enlightenment and the election

Kevin Freels cmcmortgage at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 9 19:46:22 UTC 2004

This has nothing to do with living in a bubble. I think it is a matter of
priorities. I think that if you asked, you would find that most people here
agree that Bush has made some grave mistakes over the last few years.

The real debate is whether or not Kerry would have made the same, or even
larger mistakes when it comes to the interests of people in this country -
(and the world)

Personally I think that Kerry, in the same situation as Bush, would have
done the same thing. In fact, he supported it.

I also see Kerry as unpredictable due to his flip-flop nature and desire to
be everything to everyone. This unpredictability means to me that he would
drag us into an even greater mess as he tried to capitulate to every country
in the world and make everyone happy...which is impossible and usually ends
up in pissing everyone off and putting you right back where you started.

The opinions of other nations should not be ignored, but at the same time,
they are not the deciding factor. Our president is the president of the
United States of America, not the president of the world. He doesn;t answer
to everyone else. His job is to look after the interests of the US. His job
description does not include doing what is best for China, or India, or
Pakistan, or Iraq. His job is to protect America. If someone intentionally
threatens, pretends to have the capability, is wanred in advance, and
chooses not to back down, then you go to war. This war was of Saddam's
doing, not Bush's. If Saddam wanted to protect his people, he could have
quit acting like a criminal. He wouldn;t have hid military equipment behind
civilians.

For some reason, you think of Bush as a warmonger who wanted to go to war
and kill civilians. You treat this as if Kerry would have done differently.
You put the blame of the war squarely on Bush's shoulders. Here is where you
are making your mistake. Your priorities are the lives of foreign civilians
over the protection of the US civilians against people like Saddam who
clearly want to kill us. They say so at every opportunity and do so when
gioven the chance.

Let me restate this....12 UN resolutions...all ignored. Who's fault is this
war again?

I can understand your reason for not supporting Kerry, but I don;t think you
have made an honest attempt to understand why some of us support Bush. Or
maybe we haven't made it clear enough. Maybe this will help.