[extropy-chat] Enlightenment and the election

Stephen Davies steve365 at btinternet.com
Wed Nov 10 14:52:31 UTC 2004

That doesn't mean though that people with a 4 year degree or higher account for the greater propensity to vote for Kerry because they voted for him. There could be some other variable (such as large conurbations) that accounts for both the high level of such people and the propensity to vote a certain way, or it could be that the concentration of a large number of such people in a given area has a neighbourhood effect that influences the actions of others around them. I'm not saying either is the case mind, just that as always you need to be very careful with simple correlations. I suspect myself that there is an underlying masked variable and that it's the impact on people's behaviour and way of thinking of living in a large conurbation that is highly and obviously integrated into the world economy.

Brent Neal <brentn at freeshell.org> wrote:
Reliability of exit polls not withstanding, I spent some quality time with the census data and found that the percentage of people in a state with a 4-yr degree or higher correlated pretty well with Kerry's performance in the state. I didn't do anything formal, but apparently some researchers at the University of Maryland did, and found the same thing.

Brent
--
Brent Neal
Geek of all Trades

"Specialization is for insects" -- Robert A. Heinlein