[extropy-chat] No Joy in Mudville

Patrick Wilken Patrick.Wilken at Nat.Uni-Magdeburg.DE
Wed Nov 10 15:23:24 UTC 2004

On 10 Nov 2004, at 16:04, Mike Lorrey wrote:
> 1) What percent of the aboriginal population of Australia is either in
> jail or has been in jail, compared to the anglo population, and compare
> and contrast that to the US?

Aboriginal deaths in custody (and aboriginals in custody) is a big
issue. No doubt. And its to my country's shame that it has not been
addressed adequately.

In the US what is the relevant comparison population? Blacks in LA
county? Native American indians? According to this random google
listing, the US in 2003 had the largest number of prisoners per head of
population anywhere in the world:

http://www.charleston.net/stories/060103/wor_01jailbirds.shtml

So whatever the quality of your democracy you still have to lock up
approximately 1% of the population.

> 2) What is the fine for not voting?

There is no fine for not voting. There is a fine for not turning up to
a polling booth on election day. Its like a minor traffic fine. About
$30. Though its often waived. I missed voting a couple of times and I
didn't get fined. My impression is that voting is much simpler in
Australia than USA. I have never experienced any delay in voting. There
are many polling stations. Voting outside your precinct is simple and
voting fraud is v. rarely if ever discussed.

> 3) What limitations are there on  right to speech, rights to bear arms,
> to be secure in one's home against search and seizure, takings, and
> what authority do parents have to educate their own children?

Well as you probably know we don't have a Bill of Rights as the USA
has. That's our loss in my opinion. However, its what the people chose.
There was a referendum and the majority of Australians rejected a Bill
of Rights. And since we get about 98% turnout to the polls we can sure
that the majority of voters were against it.

The majority doesn't always make wise decisions as the current US
political situation shows.

best, patrick