[extropy-chat] Enlightenment and the election

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 10 16:11:35 UTC 2004

--- Brent Neal <brentn at freeshell.org> wrote:

>  (11/9/04 17:41) J. Andrew Rogers <andrew at ceruleansystems.com> wrote:
>
> >Brent Neal wrote:
> >> You know, if the smart folks tend to preferentially vote for
> someone,
> >> I'd consider that carefully.  Even though our status as educated
> seems
> >> to attract disdain from you, my experience is that we tend to
> think
> >> more about our own choices, and not what our preacher tells us to
> do.
> >

> >There is no evidence in this particular election that the smart
> folks
> >preferentially voted any one way.  Most self-described big city
> liberals
>
> I would disagree. You're comparing apples and oranges. "big-city
> liberal" does not equal "educated."  "Uneducated," however, does
> equal a likely Bush voter as has been amply covered on most of the
> major news sources.

No, while the news sources try to make this implication to mollify
their own tortured sense of eliteness, the 'less educated' states do
not mean 'uneducated' states. They are primarily populated by people
who see more value in hard work and productive living rather than
piling up initials after one's name as a means to status.

In my life I've met at least as many morons with degrees as I have met
without degrees.

While having a degree of any sort does not make one a liberal, having a
degree in the arts or the 'soft sciences' almost condemns one to being
a liberal.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)