[extropy-chat] No Joy in Mudville

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Wed Nov 10 18:56:29 UTC 2004

At 10:34 AM 11/10/2004 -0800, Adrian Tymes wrote:

> > > "America is the worst democracy in the world, except
> > > for all the other democracies in the world."

>I was quoting Winston Churchill.

Well, no, you weren't. Churchill said something very different, making a
general point rather than a national one. (And I rather think that had he
wished to restrict his remark about democracy to a single nation, it would
have been the United Kingdom, for all that he was half American by parentage.)

Damien Broderick
[what he actually said: "Democracy is the worst form of government except
for all those others that have been tried."]