[extropy-chat] Some Joy in Ozville

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Thu Nov 11 10:49:15 UTC 2004

At 05:52 PM 11/11/2004 +1000, alejandro wrote:

>People [in Oz] jump up and down about a tiny minority of the films being
>banned
>(ie whenever they ban something that got a prize in some foreign
>competition, and even then most times the ban isn't lifted).  Most books
>and films banned noone ever hears about.  Games are now being banned and
>censored too

On the other hand, it seems to me inconceivable that the hypocritical panic
and hysteria of a Janet Jackson boob flash could happen in Oz during a
football or cricket game on TV. Oh no! The horror! Small infants might see
a naked breast!

But it's true that in some ways the censorious climate in Australia remains
oddly prudish/school-marmish in certain directions. On the other hand, the
furrin (and beautiful translation-captioned) movies traditional on SBS are
incredibly naughtier than anything shown here on American free-to-air.

Damien Broderick