[extropy-chat] statistics, damned statistics, and taxation

Patrick Wilken Patrick.Wilken at Nat.Uni-Magdeburg.DE
Fri Nov 12 10:39:20 UTC 2004

On 11 Nov 2004, at 17:53, Brian Lee wrote:

> Yeah, the US gets kind of ripped off. We pay for a massive defense but
> get no healthcare. All the other countries get the benefit of not
> having to keep a large army, nukes etc.

I think getting 'ripped off' implies someone is doing the ripping, but
its America's choice to do these things. You might say we "shoot
ourselves in the foot", but no one is ripping you off. Despite what
Mike says, no one is forcing America to favor military budgets over
health or education.

best, patrick