[extropy-chat] Hazard a guess?

Mark Walker mark at permanentend.org
Tue Nov 16 19:16:40 UTC 2004

Dan Clemmensen wrote:

> This is a common misconception. Unfortunately, it fails to account for
> emerging technologies that can be applied to building nuclear weapons.
> Example: There are new ways to create lasers that are tuned to extremely
> precise
> frequencies (google femtosecond comb) and ways to amplify such lasers to
> moderate
> power (google EDFA.) A sufficiently precise laser will ionize one
> isotope preferentially,
> and ionized molecules are trivially easy to separate from un-ionized
> molecules. None of this
> has the "big industrial footprint" of centrifuges or a diffusion plant.

The laser stuff is interesting, and I agree that it underscores the point
that we cannot be confident that we can monitor (emerging) technologies by
the size of their industrial footprint. As an analogy, I suggest that trying
to monitor genetic engineering of humans is more like trying to detect
someone creating a computer virus than it is to trying to monitor
traditional nuclear facilities. So like the virus writer, how easy would it
be to genetically engineer a human zygote _today_ a go undetected. As I
said, I think this might be quite easy, but how easy?

Cheers,

Mark

Dr. Mark Walker
Department of Philosophy