[extropy-chat] Warwick: Could future computer viruses infecth umans?

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Wed Nov 17 00:33:05 UTC 2004

--- Walter_Chen at compal.com wrote:
> At least it's fun to imagine that a computer got a
> cold (then maybe it
> doesn't need thermal solution sometimes
> because it feels too cold?)
> or got a VD (how to cure a VD on a computer?), or

So long as one is clear that one is imagining, perhaps
(although that can violate the suspension of disbelief
that is one of the keys to getting an audience to
enjoy a work of fiction).  However, Mr. Warwick and
his research are reality.

My apologies if I have seemed to overreact on this
thread, but I work in the computer industry, and this
nature of misunderstanding (anthropomorphizing
computers) has been one of my largest frustrations
(and many others in this field can relay the same
story about their own work).  Even if it is also an
occasional good source of insight and humor - e.g.,
grokking the concept of genetic algorithms through
discussions of Software EXchange.  ;)