[extropy-chat] Rand

Al Brooks kerry_prez at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 17 07:07:35 UTC 2004

I don't know what it is in the realms outside science
you wish to discuss yet, for what it's worth, don't
Rand's admirers have an emotional attachment to her
works? No doubt during the late 1950s- early '60s Rand
was an important thinker but for otherwise rational
readers to cling so doggedly to her beliefs up to this
day strikes me as being somewhat irrational. Like
Nietzsche, Rand is an engrossing read however couldn't
she be described as a romantic technocrat rather than
as a rationalist? Isn't this romanticism the
attraction of Rand's thought? Her romanticization of
industry and progress?
Rand appears to me as being a more philosophical
version of Newt Gingrich, only more oriented to the
'50s Organization Men than to the 21st century's
individualism.