[extropy-chat] Warwick: Could future computer viruses infecth umans?

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Wed Nov 17 08:46:49 UTC 2004

--- nsjacobus at yahoo.com wrote:
> I was thinking more in terms of
> what you could do
> if you could directly manipulate your own internal
> biochemical
> environment with code. The compiler would be
> designed to filter out any
> pathological results (hopefully).
>
> Consider: complete control over one's biological
> existence via code.

Ah.  Then you're using the wrong analogy.  Your body
is a biological machine, but not a biological program.
Think "robot", not "computer".  Both can be
programmed, and both can be altered by programs, but
the exact mechanism by which that change takes place
is ever so slightly (yet significantly) different.
(And once we have a high level of control over
nanotech - possibly easier to do for biological
systems like your body than for, say, diamondoid
mechanosynthesis - the capabilities would not be that
different for each control method, either.)