[extropy-chat] Rand

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Thu Nov 18 09:07:34 UTC 2004

I am not impressed with *some* of the followers either.   Ayn Rand would
roll in her grave over the shenanigans of so-called "objectivist"
fundamentalists and Pope Peikoff.   They quote the words and argue to
death trivial points while  nearly completely misunderstanding or
ignoring much of what was good and important in her thought and work.
It would be a mistake though to see only the errors she made or the
pedantic fools amoung her followers.   There are many other objectivists
who are some of the finest and most clear-headed people I know.

I owe Ayn Rand a tremendous debt of gratitude.   She got me to truly
respect the mind and to see the world far differently than the cultural
norms of my youth.   The very act of grappling with her ideas sharpened
my own ability to think about a great number of things.   And, despite
dark areas,  her Sense of Life truly was superb and powerfully
communicated.

- samantha