[extropy-chat] now that's fuel efficiency

Brian Lee brian_a_lee at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 18 16:14:05 UTC 2004

Mass and weight are only one factor in vehicle safety.

Seeing as how I was hit by an oncoming chevy avalanche about two years ago
and survived pretty much unscathed, I'll go with my saab over a heavier
towncar (whose frame is not as intelligently designed with safety in mind).

Do you know that the safety ratings are partly formed by side and front
impact crash testing? It seems comical to ignore these tests just because
one vehicle is heavier than another. It's not like a bunch of eggheads think
up which is best, they smash them into stuff to figure out how the car
responds.

Additionally, saab keeps track of all saab accidents so they can refine
design.

So the relative safety of vehicles isn't just theoretical or on paper.

BAL