[extropy-chat] Re: on Spike's big ass theory

Hal Finney hal at finney.org
Thu Nov 18 17:36:40 UTC 2004

Kevin Freels writes:
> I have always wondered what would cause a species to give up speed in
> exchange for stamina. In order for a trait to become normalized in a
> population, that trait has to be useful and contribute to survival. What use
> is long distance running when you can;t outrun your predators?

One thing to keep in mind is that humans have very few predators.  We are
one of the largest carnivorous animals in the world.  Few species can
confidently take on an adult human as prey.  We are proud of our brains
but probably our brawn played just as much a part in our survival.
Imagine if we weighed 15 pounds rather than 150; we'd have had a much
harder time becoming dominant.

> The only
> thing I can think of would be a huge, fast migration where only those with
> the most stamina would survive. This would then have to be repeated over
> hundres or even thousands of generations. This would hold to an in and out
> of Africa many times theory, which I am OK with, but at that speed? What
> could cause such a thing?

I agree, it is hard to imagine a tribe running for hours day after day
as part of a migration.  Walking is far more energy efficient.

I think the more common explanation is that running was used as a form
of hunting.  Humans can run down most animals, even though the prey is
faster in a sprint.  After a few hours the animal will be exhausted but
the human can still be going strong.  The main problem is tracking the
prey over that period.  It will run, get out of sight, and then stop.
But if you're in a plain where tracks are visible, or if you're smart
enough to figure out which way it went, it can be a successful hunting
style.

Hal