[extropy-chat] Writing for the Future

scerir scerir at libero.it
Fri Nov 19 22:35:56 UTC 2004

> >Bohr: We must treat the measuring device classically.
> >Wigner: Why must we? What will happen to us if we don't?

> We'll run into a combinatorial explosion of Feynman diagrams
> nested dreadfully deep and broad?
> Damien Broderick

More or less, if you try to measure yourself :-)

But, in general, models ( like Schulman's
http://www.clarkson.edu/~physics/schulman.htm )
avoid 'grotesque' states of the system to be
measured X the measurement apparatus.

"There is, to be sure, a genuine problem in the phenomenon
of quantum measurement, but I will not discuss it here. It
concerns *introspective* systems, where subject = object so
that the basic conception of a single subject observing an
ensemble of objects must be modified."
- David Finkelstein in "The Physics of Logic" [in "Paradigms
and Paradoxes", ed. R. G. Colodny, 1971, pag. 60]