[extropy-chat] on Spike's big ass theory

Rik van Riel riel at surriel.com
Sat Nov 20 17:39:07 UTC 2004

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004, Spike wrote:

> Here the argument sounds a little circular, so
> please ponder before responding.  If large pecs and
> gluts helps the hunter hurl and run, then potential
> mates capable of logic might reason that the individual
> with these traits might be a superior choice for
> a mate.

There's no need for logic. The offspring of people
who chose their partner poorly have less survival
chance than the offspring of strong parents.

Occam's razor strikes again ;)

> Today we do not criticize one for choosing a
> mate with more earning potential.  If life were
> dependent upon hunting, so much the more advisable
> for choosing one with the wherewithal to hunt.

In fact, some of these selecting factors have been
so ingrained into our culture that many people
aren't consciously aware of them.

cheers,

Rik