[extropy-chat] Re: Structure of AI (was COMP: DistributedComputing)

scerir scerir at libero.it
Sun Nov 21 19:00:20 UTC 2004

From: "J. Andrew Rogers"

> In the past, the only people who generally asserted
> that intelligence was not a function of computation
> also asserted that this was because there was ineffable
> "magic" of some sort that was generating the intelligence.

Let me point out the Neapolitan philosopher Giambattista Vico
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/vico/ who published (1710)
a treatise on the ***construction*** of knowledge
http://www.umass.edu/srri/vonGlasersfeld/onlinePapers/html/117.html
This "operational" perspective has been developed by
Silvio Ceccato (1914-1997) and his 'Italian Operational School'
http://www.oikos.org/vGmemory.htm