[extropy-chat] EU: What is going wrong?

Patrick Wilken Patrick.Wilken at Nat.Uni-Magdeburg.DE
Mon Nov 22 14:27:09 UTC 2004

On 20 Nov 2004, at 13:36, Mike Lorrey wrote:

> Nope. They're bombing synagogues, assaulting jews, and marching to
> demand sharia across europe. Sounds to me like muslim values are what
> they are after...

Is there any moderation on this list? If I were to say that the US
South is full of rednecks wanting to lynch blacks I would be bombarded
with hate mail, but Mike can say that Islamic immigrants in Europe are
full of hate, bombing synagogues etc. and that's OK.

A few simple facts: I live just outside Berlin. Berlin has the largest
Turkish population of any city outside of Ankara. This population moved
to Berlin not recently but in the 1960s. I work with a guy who recently
became one of the youngest neuroscience professors in the country. Not
bad for a guy who's family were poor Turkish immigrants in the sixties.
He got married last week and had a secular wedding, because like many
Europeans he's not religious.

Mike I don't know if you have ever been outside of the US, but
certainly if I was jewish I would not be frightened of walking the
streets of Berlin because of the Turks. Its the ultra-right-wing white
nationalists that exist in relatively small numbers that are a real
danger.

And there is no widespread movement to institute Sharia in Europe.
That's just a ridiculous comment.

Europe does have real problems learning to deal with immigrants from
non-European countries. I think that's something that Australians,
Canadians and Americans and others from immigrant countries probably
have a lot of difficulty understanding.

best, patrick