[extropy-chat] Brazil and China to legalize geneticallymodifiedcrops

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Tue Nov 23 19:20:42 UTC 2004

--- Kevin Freels <cmcmortgage at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> I can see where the development of the processes
> would be expensive, but
> wouldn;t the product still use many of those same
> natural biological
> processes? I was thinking that it would actually be
> more efficient and less
> costly than regular farming in the long run since
> you aren't feeding the
> bones, brains, and energy to walk around and feed. I
> was also thinking that
> there would also be more usable "meat" in the same
> space since a cow needs
> more room

Eliminate the brain, and you need to regulate hormone
balance yourself.

Eliminate the stomach, intestines, and kidneys, and
you need to provide carefully balanced nutrients,
removing any toxins (including those generated by the
cells you are keeping) yourself.

And so forth.  In theory, it can be made cheaper.  In
practice, it's going to take a lot of developmnt to
make it so.