[extropy-chat] Re: Structure of AI

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 24 16:05:10 UTC 2004

--- Walter_Chen at compal.com wrote:

> No matter life is a simulation or not, it should be possible that
> human
> beings
> can find some *universal power button* to stop the world from
> running.
> It's also possible that other *universal adjustment buttons* can be
> found,
> such as:
> - One universal button to adjust the normal human life
> - One universal button to adjust the occurrence rate of misfortunes
> - One universal button to adjust the evolution rate of human beings

I think that's a bit too much to expect, as such buttons would create
the sort of instabilities I spoke of the other day. I suspect that most
such 'buttons' typically wind up triggering the creation of black holes
and other singularity functions which are essentially the result of
dividing by zero. If you want to screw around with such things, they'd
have to be more than just theories or papers, you'd have to build a
physical mechanism that operated such a function.

Then you'd have to deal with entities in the future light cone who
would take unkindly to people screwing around with such toys that would
impact their past timeline. Charlie Stross' unseen character The
Eschaton in "Singularity Sky" is one such.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)