[extropy-chat] a future safe for us all to be Paris and Nicky Hilton

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Wed Nov 24 20:01:31 UTC 2004

In an interesting interview with American sf writer Pamela Sargent,

http://www.scifi.com/sfw/issue394/interview.html

I find an amusing or perhaps terrifying idea (but yes, I do notice that it
forgets to factor in self-augmentation, Hard Raptures and the like):

==============

Q: Your comic story "Originals" would seem to have a serious undertone, in
that you undertake a critical examination of a world where society is based
not on privation but rather on plenty. As on Star Trek, your characters
here have matter replicators that fabricate their every need, converting
any sort of mass into requested objects. Unlike Star Trek, however, the
people who live in this utopia are just as shallow, vain and dumb as, well,
people in any age. Seeing how society in "Originals" remains stratified
according to manners and exclusivity, even in a world of unbelievable
material wealth, strikes a true chord as well as a humorous one.

Sargent: It always seemed to me that almost all human beings have an innate
capacity to be total slackers, and I include myself in that group. I have a
built-in talent for indolence. If it weren't for my writing and the spur of
needing to make a living, I could easily slack off most of the time. But
stories and novels, in my experience, impose themselves on you and compel
you to write them, and a low bank balance provides its own inspiration to
work harder.

The fact is that a lot of people would not be doing what they do if they
had plenty of money. How many lottery winners hang on to their old jobs?
Years ago, I read in an article about John Grisham that he often had
lawyers come up to him at book signings and congratulate him for being able
to get out of that profession. Most writers would keep writing no matter
how prosperous they are­Stephen King certainly isn't in it for the money at
this point. I suspect that the same is true of most people who have devoted
their lives to an occupation they love.

But the rest of us? I want a world where everyone is rich enough and
prosperous enough to be as vacuous as Paris and Nicky Hilton, or Jenna and
Barbara Bush, for that matter. Now there's a slogan for social change!

Q: I wonder if a society that offered universal wealth, whether in material
terms, or by way of long life, or by making other things we want available
in massive amounts, would end up being inhabited by dejected, depressed
people. Already in our own society we see a people whose standard of living
is incredibly high (by most historical and even contemporary standards) and
yet as a society we are fearful, crabby, dissatisfied and
self-absorbed­given to popping Prozac and Paxil as if they were Pez. Are we
really suited to the level of wealth of which we dream?

Sargent: I don't know if we can draw any hard and fast conclusions about
the effects of universal wealth from American culture. Many people who
might be or seem very well off by any standard are also stressed out as
hell trying to hang on to what they've got. I know people who actually fear
extended periods of leisure, some because they've basically adapted to
being workaholics, others because they deeply fear solitude. We're kind of
a messed-up culture in a lot of ways; we sure as hell don't leave ourselves
with a lot of inner resources.