[extropy-chat] Atheists launch inquisition...

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 25 05:34:27 UTC 2004

--- Spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:

> Im waiting for some ballsy high school student to end
> the customary invocation before the local football game
> with "...we pray in the name of Satan amen..."
>
> What do you suppose would happen?

The christians would, of course, blame it on the lack of god in
schools. Said student would either be lauded for courage of their
convictions, declared an endangered species, or sued for bringing
religion into schools, by various and sundry liberal special interest
groups. The pagans would immediate issue a press release saying that
paganism is not satanism. If the kid's team lost the game, he'd have to
enter the witness protection program.

You do make the assumption that they still do invocations before
football games, at least in California (I have no doubt they still
happen in Utah and Texas), anywhere outside of Oakland or South
Central.

I once joked to a sergeant of mine that the unit needed a satanist, not
a chaplain.... that didn't go over very well.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)