[extropy-chat] Re: Structure of AI

scerir scerir at libero.it
Thu Nov 25 08:22:22 UTC 2004

> In particular I don't believe that lack of having
> come up with a test for "free will" means
> that the existence of free will is in doubt.
> - samantha

Notice the difference between 'wants' and 'wills'
Einstein was making more than 100 years ago.

'I do not believe in free will. Schopenhauer's words:
'Man can do what he wants, but he cannot will what he wills,'
accompany me in all situations throughout my life and
reconcile me with the actions of others, even if they
are rather painful to me. This awareness of the lack
of free will keeps me from taking myself and my fellow
men too seriously as acting and deciding individuals,
and from losing my temper.'
- Einstein, 'My Credo',
http://www.einstein-website.de/credo-e.htm

He was also skeptical about QM, that people
think is a good background for the culture
of free will (not just because of that randomness,
but because QM allows self-measurements which are
pre-measurements and not irreversible measurements).

A simulation algorithm reproducing these quantum
behaviours would be 'detailed enough' and would
allow 'free will'. UNIty in diVERSity.

But it is also possible that 'free will' is
emergent, as Asher Peres supposes, in 'Existence
of "free will" as a problem of physics', Foundations
of Physics, vol. 16, no. 6 (1986), pp. 573-584.

s.

'Apparently separate parts of the world would be
deeply and conspiratorially entangled, and our apparent
free will would be entangled with them.'
J.S. Bell, 'Bertlmann's socks and the nature of reality',
Journal de physique, tome 42 (1981), n.3, supplement:
Colloque C2, pp. C2/41-62.