[extropy-chat] Atheists launch inquisition...

Samantha Atkins samantha at objectent.com
Thu Nov 25 08:16:45 UTC 2004

On Nov 24, 2004, at 11:15 PM, Giu1i0 Pri5c0 wrote:

> Banning an important historic document from schools on (atheist)
> religious ground is very disturbing, as is banning scientific evidence
> on evolution from schools on (christian) religious ground. Rewriting
> history, and rewriting science, are always first steps toward a
> totalitarian Orwellian system. Let's hope both types of talibanism are
> only temporary reactions to the overheated political climate.
> Mike, I am puzzled by your more and more frequent defense of religious
> nuts.

Hmm. Not very gentle today are we?  Religious nuts?  Are you talking
only about the subset of religious/spiritual minded folks who really
are nuts or is this a blanket assumption that all such are nuts?  Sorry
to have to ask.  But I find it best to in these parts.

> My analysis: you hate what you call "liberals" so much that you prefer
> to side with the christian talibans on the basis of a feeling that
> "the enemies of my enemy are my friends" (faulty logic to say the
> least).

This is again psychologizing - questioning the supposed internal
workings of a conversational opponent instead of their argument
directly.   It also looks a bit like an attempt at shaming.

> You are proud that the christian talibans have beaten the
> liberals in the US, and now regard them as precious allies.

Whoa, this is over the top.

> My friend: just wake up. These are the same people who used to
> actually BURN people for exercising their right to free thought and
> speech. These are the same people who burned Giordano Bruno, put
> Galileo in jail, and held most of Europe in a totalitarian terror
> regime for centuries. Just read history.

Wow.  Religious people generally are the same everywhere?

> You call yourself a libertarian, but are ready to defend the
> witch-hunters that history has proven to be the worst enemies if
> personal freedom. You call yourself an extropian, but side with those
> who want to ban all research on advanced medical technologies that can
> make us better than today's humans. You proudly call yourself an
> American, but please try to realize that your new taliban friends are
> more and more against all that Jefferson and Paine stood for.

Please take a breath and try again.  This is a slam.

- samantha