[extropy-chat] Stromboli lighthouse

Amara Graps amara at amara.com
Thu Nov 25 11:40:49 UTC 2004

I said yesterday:

>After the BBC guys left, we had some extra time to climb to the top of
>Stromboli, and I saw the volcano for the first time from the highest
>point. The topography of the volcano provides an easy view to look
>down into the craters, to see the regular eruptions (on average once
>per hour), from which the volcano has earned the name from ancient
>Greek times: "lighthouse of the Mediterranean". The volcano this time
>wasn't exerting her usual full potential, but I think I captured
>something on film. The photos from my photographer friend will be
>ready in a day or two, so I'll post the links here when they are
>ready.

Here they are:

Stromboli: 20-22 November 2004

http://www.educeth.ch/stromboli/photos/photo04-en.html

continuing -

>The view from the top of Stromboli was spectacular though, the
>sky was unusually clear (it was raining solid for the two weeks before
>we arrived). The sunset was gorgeous, the Moon was three-quarters
>full, giving a soft light on the landscape. The temperature was cold
>cold cold cold, I thought I was an icicle at the end, and my knees
>complained strongly on the descent (The volcano is ~1000m high, 35%
>grade climb up and down), but it was worth it.

More on the climb-

I was with two people who had been up to the top of Stromboli a couple
dozen times, so I wasn't concerned for my safety or for getting lost.
However, presently it is forbidden to go to the top without an
authorized guide. The Guardia di Finanzia (the Italian tax and border
people) control access to the mountain, and we would be put in jail
(according to the locals or were they making drama?) if we were caught
since the two people with me were not authorized guides. Therefore, we
cut our lights on the way down to not attract attention to ourselves.
We lost the trail for a little while and then missed the hydrofoil that
evening because we were late, but I think that was only the Universe's
way to tell me to  stay another night on the island. In general, our
timing was perfect:  the GdF were off of the island for a few days, the
weather was  extraordinarily clear, and the moon was 3/4 full to help
our climb down.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Amara

Amara Graps, PhD          email: amara at amara.com
Computational Physics     vita:  ftp://ftp.amara.com/pub/resume.txt
Multiplex Answers         URL:   http://www.amara.com/