[extropy-chat] Atheists launch inquisition...

Olga Bourlin fauxever at sprynet.com
Thu Nov 25 15:47:18 UTC 2004

From: "Mike Lorrey" <mlorrey at yahoo.com>

> Atheists are JUST as capable of persecution and tyranny in perpetrating
> and evangelizing their faith as anybody else

Atheism is just a term meaning "without god."  I've met atheists who
believed in astrology (and other irrational things).  "Without god" does not
necessarily mean that a person is compassionate, rational, pluralistic or
keenly perspicacious.  IMO it is just a *good start.*

While some atheists are simply atheists (and they run the gamut of human
characteristics), some of them are secular humanists, as well.  Secular
humanism is a term that implies more of a philosophical bent regarding
putting together some type of written the-Golden-Rule driven musings
regarding how we live with what we objectively know about the universe and
our place in it.

Olga