[extropy-chat] Atheists launch inquisition...

Fred C. Moulton moulton at moulton.com
Fri Nov 26 02:37:31 UTC 2004

Before everyone goes too far on this I suggest that everyone remember
what the article said:

>Among the materials she has rejected, according to Williams, are
>excerpts from the Declaration of Independence, George Washington's
>journal, John Adams' diary, Samuel Adams' "The Rights of the Colonists"
>and William Penn's "The Frame of Government of Pennsylvania."

News articles sometimes get the story wrong but according to this part
of the news article what was rejected were "excerpts" not the entire
document.  Unless someone can provide more info lets remember that the
story is about "excerpts".  If the excerpts were selected and presented
in such a manner as to provide a false impression in the minds of the
students as to the nature of the documents and the document authors then
that is an issue of concern.

Another news article at:
http://www.theargusonline.com/Stories/0,1413,83~1968~2557673,00.html
is similar to the article originally sited but does provide some
additional info.

Also for those in other parts of the world, Cupertino is a part of the
greater Silicon Valley and is generally considered to have high quality
schools.  People report that they moved to Cupertino to get a good
education for their children.  Housing prices show the premium that is
paid.  The population is very diverse compared to the rest of the USA.
It does not surprise me that this issue is happening in Cupertino.

Fred