[extropy-chat] Atheists launch inquisition...

Kevin Freels cmcmortgage at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 26 16:54:42 UTC 2004

I've been following this thread and I felt it necessary to put my two cents
in.
I am an atheist and I am raising my children atheists. Most of my parents,
sister, aunts, uncles, and friends, are Christians. They are all aware of my
atheism as I am quite open and honest about it. As they try to "convert" me,
I try to convert them. I feel it is my mission in life to convert as many of
these Christians to rational thinking as possible.

That being said, I have to agree with Mike here. History is full of
religious figures. Some are bad, some are good. Being religious doesn;t make
someone bad. Lots of christians do great things. If person X believe that
God motivated them, or that God helped them accomplish something, then when
writing about X's actions in a historical perspective, it must be written
that X believed that God helped or motivated them. If we are then to teach
the history of X's actions, it must be taught that X believed that God
helped them.

It is important to note the difference between teaching children that X
believed that God helped him, and teaching that God helped X. The latter
suggests that God is real and that the help he received was in fact from
God. The former only teaches that X had these beliefs.

Mike's brief paragraph on the Founding Fathers' religions is consistent with
what I have read in the past as well. I have stumbled upon a lot of material
online that claimed that many of them were Deist, atheist, or agnostic and
have found these claims to be inconsistent with the overwhelming evidence to
the contrary. As much as I would like to think that Jefferson was an
atheist, I am afraid it is simply not true. These people were motivated at
the time by their religious beliefs. Jefferson comitted sins (according to
his religious beliefs) but this does not mean that he did not believe. It
only means that he was a human being capable of sinning and asking God for
forgiveness. (or whatever his particular denomination did when dealing with
such things)

Their religious motivation is a historical fact. I truly wish that it were
otherwise, but it is not. Until Darwin, most scientists were religious and
the job of a naturalist was to describe God's work. Many prominent
"scientists" of the day went out of their way to keep God in the picture,
but even Darwin had trouble accepting his own findings. This is one of the
reasons he did not publish his findings until someone ealse was about to
publish the same thing. The period we are talking about however is 100 years
before Darwin. The people were social leaders, not scientists. I doubt that
any of them were atheists. If even one of them was, they would have went out
of their way to make sure that this was not known. History does suggest that
a few of them at times had questioned their faith, but this is a common
trait of people of any religion. In Christianity, the questioning of faith
is accepted as the work of the devil.

History is History. It is always written by the winners, and is somewhat
subject to perspective, but changing facts to suit fads is totally
different. I think the atheist movement needs to grow on it's own through
truth, logic, rationality, and understanding. Attempting to change history
to suit atheist objectives will only harm atheism in the long run. I have
always seen atheism as the end result in the search for truth. If atheism
itself is considered a religion of truth, these tactics are those of
hypocrites. The thinking behind this does not seem to fit with what I see as
true atheist objectives. If it were not for the support of some on this
list, I would have thought this entire thing was a scam conducted by covert
religious operatives determined to make atheists look like evil morons.

Kevin Freels