[extropy-chat] Declaration of Independence

Kevin Freels cmcmortgage at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 26 19:18:44 UTC 2004

While we are discussing some issues regarding the Declaration of Independence and US Constitution, I was wondering if anyone knew of a movement to change the words "person" and "people" to read "intelligent beings"of something similar. Currently all rights guaranteed in the Constitution are granted to "people" and nothing more. If you go deeper, you begin to realize that a "person" is not very well defined. When the constitution was written, blacks were considered to be less than human and therefore were not allowed equal rights as whites. It seems that now would be a  good time to replace the word "person" with something else, or at least redefine "person" as any sentient being.

Kevin Freels