[extropy-chat] Reductionism

Eliezer Yudkowsky sentience at pobox.com
Fri Nov 26 22:22:36 UTC 2004

Damien Broderick wrote:
> At 04:10 PM 11/26/2004 -0500, Eliezer wrote:
>
>> Name me a single concept I must use, for which I cannot give an
>> experimentally testable consequence of its presence or absence.
>
> Friendliness.
>
> (And watch out for those Type I and Type II errors.)

Presence: you live
Absence: you die

I didn't say it would be a perfect test that caught every case and only
those cases.  I just said there would be an experimentally testable
consequence.

> I will go as far as to suggest sentience. I am aware of the Turing test and
> many of the other debates that have been made here regarding that topic and
> I don't think thae it has been sufficiently demonstrated by anyone that it
> can be tested for.

Presence: beings spontaneously begin talking about conscious experiences
without having been deliberately prompted to imitate human discourse
Absence: they don't

This is a poor test, but a critical one, because it demonstrates that
zombies are logically impossible.  Consciousness produces at least one
effect on the universe: it makes human philosophers talk about
consciousness.  If you subtract something and human philosophers still talk
about consciousness, the word "consciousness" must not refer to whatever it
is you subtracted, because it is not the cause producing those thoughts
that make philosophers put down physical words on paper about
consciousness.  It's got to be woven into the chain of cause and effect
somewhere - the reason and explanation and pattern that make the syllables
"consciousness" fall from your physical lips.

So I reasoned when I was sixteen.  Today I have other perspectives that are
harder to explain.  But I lived by the law of experimental testability,
then and now; and though it did not cure *all* my silliness, it made me
less silly than the likes of Searle.