[extropy-chat] Reductionism

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Fri Nov 26 22:30:33 UTC 2004

Eliezer Yudkowsky wrote:

>>> Them's fighting words, Samantha.
>>

>> By this I mean that you too make and must make use of various tools
>> and assumptions that you cannot fully reduce in order to function at
>> all in the world.    There is no need to fight over an obvious
>> truth.  :-)
>

> Name me a single concept I must use, for which I cannot give an
> experimentally testable consequence of its presence or absence.

Small child to parent:  "Why *can't* I cross the big road if I'm careful?"
Teenage daughter to parent: "Why *can't* I spend the night at my
boyfriend's house"
Aspiring young genius to the worldwide community:  "Why don't you
understand that *my* ideas are humanity's best hope for survival"
Superhuman AI to dependent humans:  "Because I said so."

- Jef